The Senior Technical Advisor (STA) supply chain for public health emergency will support Uganda to establish a functional supply chain management system responsive to preparedness, prevention and response needs of public health emergencies.
S/he will support the Ministry of Health (MOH) in collaboration with other stakeholders on the national One Health platform including Ministry of Agriculture, Animal Husbandry and Fisheries, Uganda Wildlife Authority and others to identify regional locations in the country with the necessary storage facilities to serve as regional nodes/Centre’s where stock piles of key supplies for emergency preparedness, prevention and response could/will be stationed. He/she will be responsible for assisting the EOC, NOHP members, and the other stakeholders quantify the identified commodities needed for preparedness, prevention and response to emergencies.
The STA will lead a team of a technical advisor (TA) and two technical officers (TOs), work with the division of health informatics at the MoH, the IT units of MAAIF, UWA and UHSC to adapt existing logistics management information systems to the needs of emergency health especially infectious diseases epidemics.
1. Provide technical leadership in the establishment of the supply chain for public health emergencies for Uganda.
2. Responsible for planning and implementation of supply chain system readiness assessment for preparedness of the supply chain in the event of public health emergencies.
3. Leads the process of identification of the most common diseases of public health emergency and the commodities (non-medical and medical) required to respond to such emergencies
4. Based on the readiness assessment, identify regional sites for stock piling stocks for preparedness if needed and ensuring the sites are well organized to keep and maintain the stocks
5. Work with and guide the various stakeholders in the NOHP and the Pharmacy Department (PD) of the Ministry of Health (MoH) in developing the required SOPs, guidelines, tools and training materials for training and implementing a resilient supply chain for public health emergency.
6. Assist the EOC and the MoH pharmacy department in preparation and coordination of training programs and activities for national, regional and district supply chain coordination teams
7. Support development or review of pre-established framework agreements and contracts with key public and private sector stakeholders for supply and distribution of commodities for preparedness, prevention and response to public health emergencies.
8. Write reports and provide feedback to the national coordination supply chain and emergency response task force
9. In collaboration with the EOC, PD and the other NOHP members, oversee the training of the Regional and district supply chain coordination teams.
10. Coordinate with the EOC staff to ensure perpetual preparedness of the system to health emergencies arising from infectious diseases.
11. Coordinate the adaption of existing logistics management information systems to the needs of emergency health especially infectious diseases epidemics.
12. Supervise and monitor performance of staff under his/her leadership in the project.
13. Provide needed technical support and participate in the design and implementation of simulations of emergency response operations under the overall leadership of the EOC.
14. Contribute to the development of the annual work plan, ensuring alignment with project strategy.
15. Participate in regular meetings of Project management team and project work plan reviews as needed. .
16. Perform other duties as may be assigned.
1. Master’s degree in public health, epidemiology, Pharmacy or related field.
2. Minimum 7 years’ experience in the health sector supply chain management systems
3. Familiarity with supply chain concepts and pharmaceutical/logistics management in emergency
4. Experience with USAID procedures, practices and reporting requirements.
5. Ability to work in a fast-paced teamwork environment to meet required deadlines.
6. Demonstrated effective leadership, interpersonal communication skills and management of diverse teams.
7. Demonstrated excellent English language skills (both written and oral) with the ability to make presentations and effectively write/edit reports.
8. Capacity building/training experience a plus.
9. Demonstrated skills in Microsoft Office Suite applications.
10. Ability and willingness to travel within Uganda at least 20% of the time.