Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is seeking a Director, Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning for a potential 5 year, $45 million USAID-funded, Health Systems Strengthening, Governance and Financing (HSS) Activity in Mali. The objective of the HSS activity is to expand access to high-quality health services and increase the Malian population's ability to plan, finance and manage their health system at the community, district, regional levels within the regions of Sikasso, Segou, and Mopti, and at the national level.
This position is subject to project award and funding.
The Director, Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning is responsible for the following:
1. Design, implement and oversee the M&E system including the development of indicators, setting targets, monitoring project progress, ensuring timely data collection, writing quarterly and annual reports in compliance with USAID systems.
2. Develop an M&E plan consistent with the USAID results framework; coordinate data collection; monitor quality and completeness of data sets; provide evidence based strategic technical guidance to the project, and document project performance against established outputs and indicators.
3. Oversee the implementation of the project’s health information system (HIS) efforts, including the implementation and use of MSH DHIS2-based information system.
4. Enhance data use for decision making to improve performance of the project, maximizing health impact.
5. Building the capacity of the Ministry of Health (MOH) and other stakeholders in the collection, utilization, and dissemination of data, and in building and using sustainable HIS.
6. Collaborate with the project team in identifying project activities, processes and/or outcomes for documentation, and design a system for capturing lessons learned and best practices.
1. Master's degree in public health, epidemiology, statistics or other related field.
2. Extensive experience in designing and implementing M&E activities and special studies for complex health programs of similar size and scope to HSS in developing countries.
3. Master capacity in DHIS2, and experience in developing and using health information systems.
4. Extensive experience working in developing countries, preferably in Western Africa.
5. Experience using a Collaborative Learning Plan to inform activity implementation.
6. Strong technical knowledge of M&E methodologies.
7. Good knowledge of the supply chain system and health information systems in Mali.
8. Ability to develop and oversee a strong M&E system that collects data related to improved local governance, financial management capacity, service delivery, etc, at the regional, district, and community levels.
9. Ability to analyze and interpret large amounts of data and clearly present it to decision-makers.
10. Strong French and English language skills. Demonstrated strong writing and oral presentation skills in English.
11. Strong interpersonal skills.
12. Must be willing to travel within Mali.