The Accounts Payable Manager is a proactive, hands-on, team player who leads the Accounts Payable Department within a fast-paced and changing environment, by working in collaboration with the Procurement team, Concur representatives and other internal stakeholders to ensure the procure to pay and Concur workflows are handled thoroughly and efficiently. The Accounts Payable Manager provides oversight of the Accounts Payable team and ensures that vendor bills and employee expenses/advances are processed in a timely manner and measured for constant improvement within a strong control environment designed to ensure internal and donor compliance. The Accounts Payable Manager will lead the development of process documentation and cross-training initiatives to ensure that there is backup support for the AP functions. The Accounts Payable Manager is responsible for compliance with vendor withholding and reporting requirements, preparing payments and preparing AP forecast to treasury for cash management, recommending and supporting change management initiatives and proactively managing vendor relationships in collaboration with the Procurement team to ensure efficient billing processes are maintained. The Accounts Payable Manager will ensure that monthly vendor ledgers and account reconciliations are performed each month, play a key role in the accounting close process, annual audit, and assist the Controller with special projects, as needed.
- Structure, organize, and measure the accounts payable workflow to ensure continual improvement of processing, including consolidation of vendor billing
- Document, streamline, and automate workflows to reduce inefficiencies in paper-based and other existing processes
- Take a lead role in transitioning to electronic payments and facilitating payment of foreign vendors in multiple currencies.
- Maintain & utilize AP metrics to measure improvements and/or identify gaps in existing workflows
- Play a key role in software system projects impacting the payables function
- Develop and maintain payables processes that ensure accuracy of data input, proper authorization of all disbursements, and compliance with internal and donor requirements
- Develop cross-training initiatives to ensure that all AP processes can be performed by others to support vacation or sick time of personnel
- Responsible for the maintenance of current A/P policies & procedures
- Responsible for compliance with vendor withholding and reporting requirements, including payments to international vendors
- Maintain robust processes which ensure compliance and takes lead technical role in all IRS reporting requirements around vendor payments
- In collaboration with the Treasury Manager, maintain a robust process that provides regular disbursement forecasts to Treasury for cash management purposes.
- Prepare or review reconciliations of vendor ledgers and payables-related accounts, and any other reconciliations, as needed, as part of the monthly and annual close process; provides support in financial or compliance audits
- Works in tandem with accounting staff on expense classifications
- Supervise the accounts payable team by establishing staff goals aligned with the organization’s annual objectives and department goals; ensures development of staff through training, coaching, and clear accountabilities.
-Assist the Controller and Finance leadership with special projects as needed. MSH is experiencing significant change management initiatives and the Accounts Payable Supervisor will have the opportunity to be exposed to a significant level of ad-hoc analysis and projects if core duties above are delivered timely, accurately and professionally.
A bachelor’s degree in a field of study closely related to the assigned responsibilities is required.
6+ years of relevant Accounts Payable experience including A/P management experience, preferably in a high volume environment; accounting experience preferred.
- Must exhibit strong Excel skills and be comfortable utilizing different software systems
- Experience measuring AP efficiencies through metrics and regular reporting preferred
- Experience with USG and diverse donor compliance requirements a plus
- Experience with vendor compliance and withholding requirements required; experience with international vendors and related reporting and withholding strongly preferred
- Fluency in a second language highly desirable (French, Spanish or Portuguese)